Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Stuff and more Stuff

I have been busier than the proverbial one-armed paper hanger the past few weeks. Somewhere I seem to remember reading that when you retire, you have more spare time and get to do a lot less. Well, with me "retired" is always a relative term anyway, but that's an entirely different story.

I finished one of my Microsoft assignments on the 30th of November and began the next one on December 1. Today I got an evaluation and the old group asked me when I want to start doing the next one next year. This is flattering. My current assignment, which begins today involves writing 589 biographical profiles, is going to take a while to complete as well. So it appears that while "retired" I will be busy throughout the upcoming year, at least part time, which is perfect for me to be honest.

I've discovered that what I need is a new hobby. Well ok, I need another 20 lbs on my butt about as much as I need a new hobby, but that's another story for another day. I've wanted to learn to do beaded flowers. I've made jewelry in the past, so I am familiar with some of the techniques, but beaded flowers are very pretty and very artsy. I was in the craft store yesterday getting some odds and ends and trying to get a picture of a quilt that Sewmouse wanted. I was talking to one of the instructors there. The long and the short of it is that she and I are going to get together some time in February in order to sit down and figure out how to make these intricate, beautiful beaded flowers. I love the idea of working with someone else. It will also fill in for those times I cannot knit. I did so much knitting over the past few months that I have managed to get repetitive stress in my right shoulder, which is getting better now that I am not knitting. I have to do some knitting though because I owe Sewmouse an afghan that is already started, but which I had to put down because of the pain.

I plan to use up a lot of my bits and pieces of yarn by making afghan squares for a local charity, but I had to switch my preferred method from knitting (much faster) to crocheting because I knit right handed (it's my right shoulder that's messed up) but I crochet left handed.

Right now, however, I've been slacking off around the house for so long I am fully expecting a visit from the local board of health if I don't empty some wastebaskets, vacuum, pick up, and wash the dog snot off of the majority of the windows.

I picked up a couple of things while out shopping today that should cause some comments around here. Last year one of my daughter's plants died. It was an old plant and I'm not really sure why it died, but it did. My daughter is insisting that I killed it. So today I saw some gorgeous plants of the same type, and absolutely huge for the price so I got her one. Sewmouse will understand this next one....I got the devil dog from hell a new hedgehog who does not have his sqeakers broken and who is wearing a Santa hat.

2 comments:

Sewmouse said...

Awwwww
you got Bris a new baby!!!
Now he will love you and want to give you kissies!!!

Leandra said...

Yes. I got Bris a new baby. He adores the darned thing, though the Santa hat is long gone. I was amazed it lasted as long as it did.

As for the kisses....he can try but I hope he enjoys looking like a bulldog when I am through with him.