Thursday, June 07, 2007

Good News

About a week ago I got a call from an agency with whom I have done business in the past. They said that there was a 2-3 day job at Microsoft that needed doing and I had been asked for by name based on an equally brief job I did for them sometime last year. They were horribly vague about what the job was. Something about doing a styleguide for a website. I'm retired now and can always use money; besides, I've been bored of late and this would be a nice change.

Today I went to Microsoft and met with the new team for the first time. My recruiter is a blithering idiot. She didn't really understand what the job was at all. My boss knew that, and begged the silly twit to just let her call me and explain. So now I know. It's not 2-3 days. It's part time for seven weeks and probably more. It's not just doing the styleguide, but also writing parts of the website, helping with site design, data flow, concepts and all sorts of other cool and interesting stuffs. I will be working from home most of the time and going into the office once a week or as needed. If things work out, then there are vague "other" projects stretching out for quite a ways.

What is ideal about this job is that it will come in spurts. A few hours here a few more there. I like the people. The pay is decent. On the way out of the building the other tech writer asked me if I would consider taking emergency overflow if she got backed up. I told her to bring it on.

So I am feeling sort or smug at the moment. This is a real job. It's doing stuff that interests me. It's a good group of people. I cannot imagine how it could be better at the moment.

Of course I always feel the need to keep off the streets and out of the bars, so I am also writing a short blog column called Media Criticism. It's found at: http://www.mediacritiques.com if you are interested in checking it out.

4 comments:

BBC said...

Interesting post, so you are a computer expert that MS wants?

My recruiter is a blithering idiot.

My recruiter is a blithering idiot monkey.

*insert laugh track*

Leandra said...

I'm a technical writer. I did a short job (3-4 days) for them about this time last year. It was a brainstorming meeting. My job was to provide them with an accurate report on what happened, what they decided, etc. Apparently they were so pleased with the results that when this job came up the woman who needed someone asked for me directly.

The thing is I'm very thorough, fast, accurate, and I write really clearly. They were actually able to use the report I produced for a number of things and it apparently even was good enough to go to upper management. I liked that.

This won't make me rich or lead to a permanent job. That makes it idea for me. It augments my retirement income, keeps me off the streets and out of the bars, and keeps my mind active.

BBC said...

"keeps me off the streets and out of the bars"

Umm, nothing wrong with beer church if you only see it as one of your experiences and don't abuse yourself too much in the process.

Leandra said...

bbc dear? If I walked into a church the altar would explode.