Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Garden

I am not sure why I'm so attached to my little garden. There is just something about growing stuff, particularly flowers, that makes me happy. The picture is a container of nasturtiums that I planted earlier and which are just now coming into full bloom. I can actually smell them from my chair when I have the living room window open.

I want to work with my daughter later this summer and fall to put in two new flower beds and get new dirt into two more. I can't wait to see what all the new flowers will look like come spring.

Our vegetable garden is doing well too. We have lots of baby squashes, broccoli, and tomato plants (I'm still waiting for the first baby tomato) and other things. Susan saw some baby peppers today as well, so that's a good thing. Most of my pepper plants died without ever forming a new leaf, as did most of my cucumber plants. I do have two remaining cucumbers and three or four peppers which might do something.

I'm currently waiting on a big pot of sweet peas. It's finally decided to produce lots of baby flower buds, but is still a few days of good weather away from showing any color. I'm patient.

Gardening is sort of like therapy for me. I don't worry about things, and I love the results. I'm already making plans to prune the big evergreen shrubs and azaleas and rhododendrons so that next year they will produce many more flowers. Next spring the back deck will be ablaze with spring flowers. I've already ordered the bulbs to put in. At some point, if I get the side flower bed in, I'll put in iris.

1 comment:

BBC said...

I'm the one that sneaks in there at night and pee's on everything to make them grow. Urine is great fertilizer you know. He, he, he.