Friday, April 14, 2006

Dreams of Magic

I woke up this morning with the remnants of the strangest dream lingering in my mind. It took the form of a conversation between me and a guy I couldn't see. In the dream he was telling me to consider something....all through history people have believed in real, honest to god, magic. There isn't a society or a faith that hasn't believed.

The guy was postulating that the belief exists because magic truly exists, but that it is surpressed because it's not a good thing for a lot of people to know about. He said that true ability is rare, but when it appears during puberty that someone quells it. A person is only deemed "suitable" to possess the skill if their inate talent is great enough to break the block that is placed on them.

This got me to thinking. There were lots of sketch details in the dream. Nothing really solid. But it's a fascinating idea. A secret world of magic (kind of like Harry Potter, but less benign and smaller) that has always existed coincident to ours. Magic controlled but not totally contained. Perhaps run by one or more secret organizations, but to what end? What secret would they be guarding? What would they be hiding? Why, if they had always existed, would they hide in the first place? What if there were several such organizations on the different continents? What would be the political rammifications? What would be their aim? How powerful would the oldest among them be? Would they fight among themselves? Maybe try to steal one anothers' sleeping possibilities?

As you can see, the idea has me fascinated. That's one reason I'm writing about it here. So I don't forget.

No comments: