Saturday, October 21, 2006

Addictions

Everyone has addictions of one sort or another, some are simply more universally acceptable than are others. Drugs, alcohol, excessive sex, and the like are examples of bad addictions. Books, learning, writing, and the like are examples of things that can be viewed as good addictions.

I was thinking about this this past week because I again indulged in my biggest addiction of all..buying books. I love books. I read them vociferously and I learn or am entertained. I also have a weakness for pens and blank books in which to record ideas. Tablets. I always have a lot of these things at hand scattered across the house and even in my purse or in the car. I am having to be more careful about the book addiction of late because I am now retired. I go to half price books more often and buy paperback as opposed to hardback for all but the more urgent offerings. I mean I won't wait a year for the newest Harry Potter book to be published in paperback, for instance.

That being said, however, I do buy more books than I should. It often takes me a while to read them all and I generally have a pile of 10 or more in my queue. I freely admit that I start getting really antsy, even anxious, if I am down to my last one or two books. I suppose as addictions go, this one, while expensive, is better than many other types of addictions. I guess this is a good thing because I cannot even imagine not having a pile of cool new books waiting to be cracked open and enjoyed.

Hmmmm.....I suppose hints to my relatives that gift cards to book stores make excellent birthday and Christmas presents might be in order.

No comments: