Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Getting Things Done

I seem to be off and on when it comes to getting things done. I never seem to get everything I want done no matter how hard I try.

This week I did manage to complete an afghan for myself for this winter, and also a quilt that my friend Arla and I made for a friend. She cuts and pieces and I quilt and bind. Neither likes the other's job much so it works out perfectly for me and things get done.

Today I went out and bought backing for my son's quilt, and will put the batting, backing, and top together today sometime and begin quilting that. I already know what I plan to do in terms of quilting it, so that helps.

I started an afghan for my daughter for her birthday. Will have a push a bit to get that one done by the 9th, but the saving grace is that it is done with really chunky yarn so a huge square is only 7 rows.

I've fallen down badly on my writing. I think I have a work-around for that and will see tomorrow morning. I decided to pull up whatever I was working on first thing before I even head to the kitchen to make coffee. Then I'll come back and write while the coffee is brewing and while I am sipping a couple of cups. It would be just another way to get my morning going on an up note.

On the up side of the writing, I did manage to rewrite and then edit my white paper on outsourcing and also to write the marketing letter. Today or tomorrow I'll select up to ten possible recipients and personalize each letter a bit for them, then send it out. I know it's a really good idea, but I need to be realistic in terms of anyone else seeing the possibilities. Then I shall move on to completing the outline and proposal for the book on teaching techies to write. I want to include a special chapter or two at the back concerning the problems of teaching non-native speakers to write at a professional level. I doubt it can be done to be honest, but I do know what it would take to do it if it were possible.

I need to do more to keep the house up. Just one or two things a day will make all the difference in the world when it comes to keeping on top of things. My daughter is doing better about picking up after herself and doing things too. At some point we will make a list of everything that needs to be done every week, divide it up, and then each person will do their share as they find the time.

I find it particularly ironic that now that I don't work any more I seem to be more busy than I ever was when I did.

No comments: