Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A Day for Self-Indulgence

I am seriously considering being a self-indulgent slug today. It's still early here (before 10:00). I have two or three small chores to complete from my list of 17. I've had breakfast and the kitchen is clean.

Over the weekend was a total loss. We were so bummed out and sad about Clara's dying that we did little of anything. Yesterday, in a fit of guilt, I made a list of 15 To Do items and finished all but three. I added two more last night. I will toss those out of the way here sometime soon.

I'm very seriously considering being miserably self-indulgent today to a degree seldom seen in my neck of the woods. I did all my errand running yesterday, so if I do this, it will be shopping, lunch out, pedicure, manicure and then a nap. I need to pick up the extra stuff for my daughter's Christmas present. Yeah, I know it's only May, but I am making something that will take weeks to finish and I am also making all of my Christmas gifts this year.

The shopping might entail buying a book. For me it generally does. I'm a book freak. It might entail getting a few pair of new underwear and weeding out the ones that you can see daylight through. I want to look for some baskets to hold potatoes and onions in the kitchen. Maybe those hanging things but I have to be careful there. My daughter is really short.

Mostly I think what I want to do is get out of the house and do it for a reason that isn't an obligation. Everything I do of late is an obligation of some sort, particularly when I leave the house. I have to get groceries, pay bills for my daughter (she can't leave the house except to go to and from work), or run other errands of that sort. I almost never go anywhere just for me.

I might even find a new pair of sandals for summer. Whatta concept. I just sort of feel that the sunshine (it's a gorgeous day here) and the fact I'll just be putzing around for no particular reason and with no particular goals might really feel good. Maybe I'll check out that Mexican butcher shop and see if they have lamb shanks. I would love some lamb shanks. I could, of course, get those if I chose to drive into the city. There is a butcher shop at the Market that always has them. But the Market is a really long drive and traffic there is such a hassle.

We'll see. Right now I need to go vacuum the house, weed the garden, write a letter to my doctor then shower and get dressed.

2 comments:

BBC said...

Is your life always high or low? Ever consider moderation?

"The shopping might entail buying a book."

At some point in time you need to stop reading books and start thinking for yourself. - Albert Einstein.

Damn, it was a beautiful day, wasn't it just simply a beautiful day?

BBC said...

BTW.... I don't make lists anymore, no point in feeling bad about what I didn't do.

I don't even plan much, I just get up and do my computering and then start deciding what to do the rest of the day.

It doesn't drive me as nuts that way and if I should die before the day is over none of it is going to make any difference anyway. LOL