Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Bah. Humbug!

I really do hate the 4th of July. Fireworks, except for municipal displays, are forbidden in our area, especially firecrackers. Which means the noise starts about breakfast time and continues unabated until the wee hours of the morning. Right now it's nearly 9:30 at night and the din is nowhere near abating.

My daughter has a dog. He's getting older and he really stresses out with all the noise. The vet can't give him sedatives because of his age, so he gets anxious and jumpy. It was getting pretty bad earlier this evening, so I shut all the windows despite the heat, and brought him into my room. Then I put on a CD I just got of classical pieces selected specifically to be relaxing and soothing. The noise outside is loud and continuous yet he's asleep on the bed with the music playing in the background. I know it's silly to think that the music is helping him cope with the noise and stress of the 4th, but he's honestly sacked out.

My daughter took him into her room a bit ago and he got really agitated and was whining and running around, so she let him out. I put the music back on for him, and he's back asleep. I think he's dreaming about chasing a rabbit. His feet are twitching and he's barking in his sleep. Silly dog.

3 comments:

BBC said...

I went camping in the national park to get away from all that crap. Hon, pack everyone up next year and head for a national park where they can't make all that noise.

We can't keep the monkeys from doing that because we live in a 'democratic 'country, but we can get away from it. Hugs.

The Future Was Yesterday said...

The music putting the dog to sleep is not at all unusual or unbelievable. I used to have an old mutt that rode along in my truck every where I went, with the radio playing C&W nonstop. When my Son would get in, he'd switch to beatles music (it was that era), and that poor ole hound would howl and moan......Put the C&W back on, and he was happy as can be!:)

BBC said...

Would you please get off your sorry ass and write a new post? :-)