Sunday, July 29, 2007

This is my sock



Well, ok. So it is not really my sock. It's my daughter's sock, but I made it. A while ago I got a wild hair to see if I can still make socks. I could years ago, and it really hasn't gotten all that much harder over time. They're using five needles rather than the four I used when I was first knitting socks, but that's sort of minor.

My daughter has been going through some fairly hard times recently and she's been really down. I thought maybe a pair of really wild, hand-knit socks would cheer her up if the only thing she ever did with them was to wear them to keep her feet warm in the winter. So I let her pick out the yarn.

I had forgotten how thin sock yarn really is and how much of a pita the first few rows are to get done as things tend to twist and be hard to keep straight. After that, however, it's a piece of cake. So yesterday the sock was finished. I took it in for the real acid test. To try it on her. I was a bit nervous as knitted stuff can be odd when it comes to sizing and I dreaded the idea it might prove to be too big and need to be redone. It fit perfectly, however, so sock #1 is finished and the second one has been started. Since it takes 9 rows to equal one inch the second sock will take me a few days to complete. The needles are about the size of very long matchsticks. Still, all in all it doesn't look bad.

5 comments:

BBC said...

Um, a sock that took you hours to make is supposed make her feel better? Come on, give me a break.

Take her to a store if she needs socks and let her pick out what she wants. Hell, they are only a buck or so a pair.

And spend your time doing something more useful, like changing the world for the better.

Your daughter is screwed up and making her a pair of socks isn't going to unscrew her.

But an intervention might. If you get my drift. And if it doesn't, so what?

It's just a daughter, someone that you had when you were screwing someone, or they where screwing you. Get over it. :-)

BBC said...

Hey, before you got married did you ask your future husband if he wanted children?

Just wondering. :-)

Leandra said...

I'm not sure where you're going with this BBC. In fact, having someone do something for you that's special does in fact help her feel better.

Of course my future husband and I discussed children. How could anyone possibly get married and not have discussed such things? Without shared direction and values, why would I marry anyone.

BTW just for the record, I was one of those who actually had sex for the first time on her wedding night. Does that help? BTW who pissed in your Cheerios today?

Sewmouse said...

You do beautiful work. I'm sure she will love having the pair done.

Some day I will try my hand at socks - not today, however. Today I need to finish my CURRENT projects before starting more!!

BBC said...

"How could anyone possibly get married and not have discussed such things?"

Well, lets see. My first two wives? We got horny, we had sex and made babies. It' pretty straight forward.

So if you are not still with him after discussing all that why are not still together?

BTW, I wasn't putting down the socks. I just think that there are better ways of showing love and support.

Helen could care less if I made her a pair of socks, ice-cream does it for her.

And she is as skinny as a rail so I am okay with that. Too skinny really. Just saying. Hugs.