Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Words

I have noticed that people tend to stuff people into conveniently labeled little boxes, and become uncomfortable when someone doesn't fit or refuses to be categorized. For instance, I personally disapprove of George Bush's handling of the war, the economy, the budget, domestic issues and virtually everything else. When I say this, I am accused of "hating" Bush. When did we get to the point of equating political differences with hatred?

This has nothing to do with party lines. Many of my political views are also shared by mainstream Republicans. Many are shared by mainstream Democrats. I pride myself on being a person who decides issues based on facts not on what a particular party line dictates. I believe in a balanced budget and zero based budgeting, smaller government, cutting waste, etc. Those are largely Republican stands. I also believe in universal access to affordable health care, giving people a hand up when they fall on hard times, and in some regulation and/or oversight of big business since many in big business have proven themselves incapable of honesty without it. These are largely Democratic stands.

Yet people keep trying so very hard to push me into one of these stupid little boxes that says Republican or Democrat (I am neither), conservative or liberal (again, I am neither or both depending on the issue). Why is it we cannot accept that there are people who actually think for themselves? I approach each issue as a separate one and decide my stand when I view pros and cos, look at what others write, and then ultimately think about it and decide.

Even more alarming to the box police is the idea that you can actually change your mind and your views on a subject when the situation changes, more evidence is presented, or times change. In other words, some of us refuse to be locked into a position for life when the environment surrounding that position changes or we get more information. I consider it block-headed to cling to an outdated idea because you don't want to be seen as changing your mind. Why wouldn't you change it if new proof shows your old position was based on insufficient information and was, therefore, inaccurate? What is so wrong with saying, I learned more about it, so I changed my position based on the newer, more accurate information?

I see this as a part of the the general political hostility and incivility that reins today. People are so divided and so polarized that they cannot even hear what "the other side" says, much less accept that they are accurate. Recently I had a friend, who disapproves of nearly everything Bush does, but who also identifies himself as a Republican become insensed because I stated I didn't agree with things Bush is doing. Now mind you he doesn't approve of those same things either, but he actually said it was disrespecting the office of the presidency to disagree with what the president does/says. Since when?

1 comment:

Sewmouse said...

Since when?

Since Bush II became president and Cheney, Rumsfeld & Rove started pulling his puppet strings.

Bush himself has said things like "If you aren't with us, you are against us" and Rummy and Dickeyboy shout "You're demoralizing the troops when you question our actions!!"

And the typical brain-dead moronic Neocon Freeper Dittohead Lemmings take time off from their Annie Banannie fix to nod like bobble-head doggies in a rear-view window.