Friday, February 02, 2007

I done good

It's sort of coincidental that my friend Sewmouse published a piece on finding books for her family that meant a lot to them when they were younger.

My son's birthday was the 31st. When we were talking he mentioned how much he wanted to find his two favorite children's books so he could read the books he loved to his daughter. I promised him I would look, but to be honest they were kid's books from 30 or more years ago. The odds were not good. Or so I thought.

Bright and early the next day I started my search. Almost immediately I found the first of the two books. I ordered it on Amazon.com and it began winging its way to him. I sent him an email telling him I had found it.

Unfortunately I had no luck with the second book. Then quite by accident, while typing something into an email, I discovered I was spelling piranha wrong. I was leaving out the "h". I typed it into a Google search and almost immediately got a number of hits, one of which gave me the author's name, the publisher, and the date it was published. Armed with that and crossed fingers, I hit Amazon again. Immediate success. That one is on its way to him as well. Both should arrive within a day or two of one another.

I felt so good being able to do that. I remember these books from when David was just a child. I remember his laugh as he read them over and over. Now I have been able to help out and see that his daughter enjoys the very same books he so loved as a kid. That makes me happy.

No comments: