Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Day at the Doctor

Today I went to see my doctor again. It's about this sleep problem. We talked. I'm doing a lot of stuff right, including continuing to lose weight. Another four pounds this time. That's like 8 pounds in a month or so.

He suggested that I read a book that includes 5 minute exercise programs. I know I am going to have to get into that. I just don't like the pain and the wheezing and choking. Maybe breaking it down in five minute segments will help that some. He also suggested I begin my meditation. I have finished reading the book but had not actually started. I will do that tonight before going to bed. He also said that on those nights I wake up for more than 20 minutes, I have to get up and go out into the living room. I have to do something I find boring, like folding clothes, doing dishes, or something else of that nature.

He also gave me sleeping pills. We went for the mildest and those least likely to ever be addicting. He will watch it closely since I am worried about the addiction bit no matter how well they might work otherwise.

Seems lady luck was smiling. Just an hour or so before I was due to leave the house for the Dr. appointment, I got a call from the optometrist (which is in the same building) and my glasses were ready, so I made two trips in one. Saved gas.

Tomorrow I have to burn more gas though. I have to drive down to Redmond to the Group Health hospital there and pick up this bracelet thingie for another sleep test. I may have to put off taking my sleeping pills for a time if I'm doing a sleep test as it could throw off the results. On the way back I have to stop and pay the mortgage payment. Again I will be combining two stops in one and if I time it right I will be able to stop at a place I love for some Thai for lunch. That will make the entire day worth while.

So I'm continuing to take care of my health and getting all the things fixed that I have had to let go for so long because I had no insurance. I suppose sometime after everything is better for Susan I will go in and see about having this hernia repaired. More fun.

I've been talking to Susan today about the garden. It's fun to begin making plans for flowers, shrubs, and bulbs and things. We will have a pretty yard and lots of flowers one of these days. I am taking it one step at a time. That seems wisest. A bit here and a bit there and things get done. This week I've already dug up and dumped 5 small buckets full of dandelions. Of course you cannot tell that by looking, but It's true nonetheless. Sometime after the 21st I will start acquiring plants for the vegetable garden for this year. I'm thinking of putting Marigolds in it to keep the slugs and cutworms out or at least down to a few. They hate them for some reason.

1 comment:

BBC said...

Marigolds are nice because they bloom a lot. Pretty much all summer long as I recall. I had them in the planters at my parts house in Utah.

I could sleep if my fucking brain would just shut off. Oh well, a few more beers will do it.