Friday, April 13, 2007

This Whole Diet Thing

Since I went to the doctor earlier this week, I have been thinking a lot about this whole diet thing. I suppose I should start off by stating I no longer diet. Not for any reason. I pretty much ruined my metabolism when I was young with one extended starvation diet after another. I have literally lost entire people, but they always seem to find their way back and they always bring friends.

Some time a few years ago, I made the decision to never diet again. I have lived with that since and am happy with the decision. The funny thing is that over the past two years or so I've lost 40 pounds. No; you may not look at my butt and tell me: "I think I found it."

What I did was change my entire philosophy regarding eating. Now this is a very long process and it involves a lot of trial and error. I started as I do with everything I do, with extensive research and reading. I considered and rejected a number of eating plans, popular and totally insane.

So what did I finally settle on? Gradual changes. One at a time. Nothing dramatic. The principles were simple. First and foremost, I can and will eat anything I want when I want it in any amount I wish. Just knowing that is so freeing. It allows me to eat smaller amounts of rich or fattening food and be totally satisfied. After all, it's not as if I can't have all I want any time I want; so for some reason that means I am satisfied with less.

I started making some logical substitutes in my diet. I bought hard wheat pasta because it contains more fiber, is digested much more slowly, and I eat less of it and stay fuller over time. I started eating more vegetables and fruits. I have a decided advantage over most people in that I rarely eat pastries, garbage such as chips and sodas, or fast food in the first place. I don't care for most processed food and I avoid eating things with preservatives and additives if I possibly can without being fanatical about it. I eat low fat salad dressings because I personally cannot tell the difference between them and the full fat varieties so I save calories. I won't touch low or non fat milk, cream cheese, or sour cream. I have made the decision to eat less of the real thing than a lot of something that tastes roughly like library paste. Old library paste at that. And yes, as a kid I did eat it so I do know what it tastes like.

I began reducing my portions. Not because I thought I was being virtuous, but rather because I was satisfied with less. The result has been a steadily increasing weight loss with no feeling of deprivation. Sewmouse has been nagging me. Ok to be fair so has my doctor. What about? Exercise. I am fond of saying that any time I get an urge to exercise, I just lay down for a while and it goes away. But they are both right. Given my limited mobility (I have sciatica, exercise-induced asthma, and very bad knees) I have to find things I can do. Both the doctor and Sewmouse have recommended doing five minutes of exercise at a time. That would still grow into 30 minutes 4 times a week over time as I do more of the five minute segments. *sigh*

So where am I going with this? Nowhere really. I'm not really trying to lose weight though the changes I am making apparently are doing that anyway. I already have low blood pressure and low cholesterol, so that's not a problem either. I'm disgustingly healthy for the most part. I think for once I am doing this for all the right reasons. I no longer think I can starve myself into being acceptable to men and frankly I don't give a rat's ass about that any more anyway. I put that behind me quite a few years ago. I simply want to be healthier and make my life that much easier. I like the way I eat. I don't eat stuff I don't like. I refuse. Life (no matter how long) is too short to waste by eating garbage and pretending it's caviar.

So this week I start exercising a bit at a time as weather and my own pig-headedness allows. I begin a program of meditation. I am currently in another sleep study thing, and I have a bottle of sleeping pills that I've waited since half past forever to get my hands on. Ironically I cannot take them right now because of the sleep study. But that will be over next Wednesday. I am doing some research into acupuncture for insomnia. We have an acupuncturist within half a mile of the house I could go to if it's affordable and if I find any evidence it works.

Time marches on. I found a new produce market yesterday. Great buys on great stuff. I am making barbecue sauce at the moment for the chicken tonight. We'll have it with salad and grilled asperagus. Oh yes, did I forget to mention the fresh lemon meringue pie?

5 comments:

Surf Selection said...

What the big drug companies don't want you to know is that unfortunately, there is no single "magic pill" for sleeping problems…and even worse — insomnia is just the tip of a very big iceberg. Although popping a little pill to sleep soundly seems like an easy solution, there are things you haven't been told about that could be hiding beneath the surface of that insomnia "iceberg".

Leandra said...

I do appreciate the input. I've been dealing with chronic insomnia for close to 20 years. So far I've been diagnoses with apnea and now sleep with a CPAP machine whose setting were checked within the past three weeks. I still don't sleep at night though I no longer have the apnea symptoms.

I've had allergy testing and other stuff until I am blue in the face. I've taken every form of antidepressant known to mankind at one time or another. Right now I'm undergoing another week-long test on sleep patterns.

The sleeping pills are just one more attempt to find some solution. I've only taken half of one pill thus far and it did nothing whatever. I have had doctors give me injections that were "guaranteed to put me out for the night" when I was in the hospital and was awake again within three hours.

My current doctor is simply exploring every possible solution path. I like the slow and simple approach. We both agree I won't take any pills that can be addictive. I would sooner struggle with insomnia. The problem is that I am just plain tired of being tired, and I honestly feel if I could solve this insomnia problem I would be more creative and have more energy. Well, ok. To be accurate I probably couldn't be more creative than I already am if I tried, but if I were rested much more of what is currently living inside my head would be on paper.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress plus or minus. Who knows? One day I might actually sleep through a night again.

Leandra said...

Shelbspeaks? The links to your info don't work. Could you send them to me? I really want to see if there is any new information. I have done extensive research on chronic insomnia and always am in the market for more.

BBC said...

I eat what I want, I just don't eat a lot of it. And I don't use food as a stress reliever like many people seem to do.

I just drink some beer and go deal with the stress head on.

Actually, if I would just stay the fuck from most people and the news there wouldn't be much stress in my life.

Sewmouse said...

Lea?

Here is the link that Shelbspeaks wants you to follow.

http://www.newsmax.com/blaylock/21a.cfm?s=bl&promo_code=3266-1

It is a link to an advertisment. Apparently shelbspeaks is a shell account for an advertising and marketing scam. Probably does a net-scan for the word "Insomnia" and then posts this same tripe in comments everywhere. I'm sorry to break that to you, because you deserve better than false hopes from some scam artist.

I sincerely hope that your current changes will make some sort of difference to your sleep-cycles. I know it's making a difference in mine - I'm dreaming a LOT more, and they're weirder than ever. LOL