Sunday, November 19, 2006

We'll See

I have taken a step today I may live to regret. Then again, maybe not. Years ago I was very politically active, working on campaigns (both parties), and doing a lot of things to get candidates of my choice elected. I did press stuff for a recall campaign that recalled 5 members of a 9 member city council, meeting with other plotters in a sort of seedy waterfront bar to get the information for the initial press release, etc. Was great fun.

Then my ex got home from Vietnam all screwed up and one of the things I had to drop was any political involvement because of his behavior. He would make my life so miserable if I tried to do things that made me happy that eventually I quit. I tried going back many years later, and actually did work a successful campaign for a U.S. Senator. But I didn't follow up.

A couple of days ago I got a note from the Democratic National Committee about a new website for volunteers they have set up to keep their grassroots momentum going for the next two years. After thinking about it for a few days and visiting the site a couple of times, I decided to sign up. I told them what I do and do not like doing, so I won't be asked to work phone banks which I loathe passionately. It's Sunday so I'll see if I get a response. They claim I will.

They also have blogs, groups, etc. so that will give me yet another place to be opinionated. This is a good thing.

No comments: