Sunday, August 12, 2007

Finishing Things

I'm please that this weekend has been one in which I actually got some things finished. Finished is a nice word.

I always have a ton of projects going at any given time. I have a fairly restless mind and get bored easily. Lots of years ago I figured out that if I had many things going there was always something else to pick up if I got tired of what I had in my hands.

Right now, the infamous striped socks are finished. I finished two parts of a sampler afghan I am making for Christmas giving and I pieced together half of the finished afghan. This one has 16 pieces which are then sewn together, and finished with a nice border. It's pretty but it's fairly intricate. The piece I finished was the 9th piece. I have the 10th started. I still have three afghans to do by Christmas and one sewing project.

I managed to finish a major part (maybe all) of a chapter of a book I'm working on. This is important because with my sleep problems, finding the energy to be creative is often a difficult situation, and this was the second day in a row I was able to write and to write things that were fairly good. I have also been able to do more reading and more outlining and work on story ideas that have nothing to do with this particular story. I have three stories in play at the moment and two more in the background, all of which could be books if I could just get them finished. The current effort is on Chapter 21. It has some holes, but is more or less half way finished. One other story has 8 chapters finished, all quality work. the two in the background are fully developed stories, but only one has any writing finished, and that is a completed screenplay. The other is fully outlined and ready to go, but it doesn't feel ready yet. The last one is a work in progress. I have the basics in mind, but there are major answers waiting to come into being before I can consider it a story rather than just a good story idea.

I did something yesterday that is very rare for me. I found a pattern and bought some yarn to make something for myself. I rarely make things for me. I'm not sure why, but I just don't. This is what is called a "bed jacket". It's crocheted, which I was not happy with, as I'm on a knitting kick. However, it is perfect for what I want. I tend to like to sleep with my arms outside of the covers, and my arms get really cold especially in the winter. This will help. I am thinking of actually knitting myself a sweater in the dead of winter this year after I finish Sew's quilt and the pile of Christmas afghans and other handwork projects. If I can manage the time, I might make my granddaughter a pair of these crazy striped socks. Not sure since they are a lot of work.

Finishing things is important for me. I need to do more of it. I have a number of projects I want to get done. Some are handcrafts, but others are things such as cleaning out my bookcase, sorting the books and getting them back up in some sort of order, and hauling a pile of them to Half Price Books. I have way too many books and some are ready to wend their way to the book store where someone else can benefit from them.

Right now, however, I need to finish this entry and to get myself into the shower. I have quite a bit I want to finish today, even though it is Sunday. It's cloudy and cold today and has been raining, so working in the yard is out of the question today. I need to do inside stuff for a while.

No comments: