Wednesday, August 08, 2007

I am not a happy camper!

It's a bit before 11:00 and I'm sitting here exhausted, both emotionally and physically. I just came back from leaving my daughter's dog at the vet. He poisoned himself again tonight.

Just what exactly is so damned hard about closing a gate? I have been finding the kitchen gates open repeatedly over the past few days and have asked those responsible to just be considerate enough to latch the damned things. We know the dog will get into almost anything. The gates prevent that, but not when they are open. I've caught him in the kitchen three times in the past four days, but luckily I heard him. This time I didn't. He ate a piece of cheese, a small amount of chocolate (bad enough) and at least a dozen raisin English muffins. Raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. He had a huge amount of them, and the vet was only able to get a small amount by causing him to vomit.

So he's in the vet. He'll be there a couple of days. The vet can't say if he'll be ok because they don't really know what triggers the toxicity in dogs when it comes to raisins. They're hoping to head that off with close supervision, lots of IV fluids, and some other treatments. We won't know until the danger period is over and that's a minimum of 24 hours. Maybe as much as three days.

I am angry. There's no reason for an adult to be so damned irresponsible.

No comments: