Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Why Women Don't Sew Any More

When I was growing up, a lot of women sewed. We made clothes for ourselves and our kids, made stuff for the house, etc. It was cheaper and stuff fit better. I was a particularly good seamstress and for two summers was actually paid to sew costumes for a university's summer theater program. That was one of the most fun times of my life because I love live theater, always have. Working and living in the world of the theater for two summers was magical for me.

I've probably mentioned elsewhere that it's cold where I am. Of late I've been considering picking up a pattern and sewing myself a couple of flannel slips to wear under my skirts for warmth. They would sew up fast. Fabric is still a good buy in most places, so it seemed like a good idea. Yesterday I finally got to my local Joann's Fabrics, and I discovered why women don't sew any more. They can't afford to. Patterns for the simplest things cost around $16, while the really fancy stuff is more. It's simply cheaper to buy whatever you want ready made and alter it to fit. Add to that the fact that most of the pattern catalogs don't even carry undergarments like slips any more, and you can see why I say it's just not worth it. I can buy a slip such as I want for under $20 online. It would cost me almost that for the pattern if they had them. That's ridiculous.

No comments: