Monday, December 18, 2006

Another Year

*sigh* Another year gone. They just seem to slip by. I retired this year. I didn't do it voluntarily but rather because there were no more jobs to be had in my profession. I'm just too damned old to retrain into a new one. That leaves me with the dilemma of trying to figure out how to make money off of what I do best. So far I haven't found any solutions but I'm still trying to find something. I utterly reject the idea of "do you want fries with that," or "Welcome to WalMart" as an alternative.

Things are pretty somber around my house today anyway. Yesterday I discovered a huge mass growing inside one of my daughter's dog's mouth. The emergency vet holds out little hope that it is anything other than a malignancy. They lost their other dog (litter mate to this one) to cancer a year ago. This is one of the most gentle, even-tempered, sweet dogs. She's never any problem at all. My daughter and her ex are not taking it well. Both are devastated as they love these dogs as if they were their own children. They decided to make the dog as comfortable as possible and will keep her as long as they can for as long as her health is good. They won't subject her to surgery and radiation. She's 12 years old. Far too old for her last days to be miserable through surgery to remove half her jaw and the sickness of radiation. They will let her go quietly when the time comes. We will know more by the end of the week when she sees her regular vet and they do a biopsy on the mass.

5 comments:

BBC said...

I have many skills so getting a job isn't any problem to me. My problem was learning to say no when I got tired of working for others.

But this isn't about me right now, it's about you.

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday Leandra, happy birthday to you.

Hugs.

pissed off patricia said...

I'm a day late with my Happy Birthday wishes and I'm sorry about that. I too followed sewmouse's directions. I hope it was a good one. And, I am so sorry to hear about the dog's problems. My dog is like family to me too and I know how much it hurts when they get sick, especially that kind of sick.

Leandra said...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.

I also have lots of skills, but it's deciding which I want to do. I would love to write. I'm so very good at it. I can do technical writing, etc. and can also do articles, etc. The thing is to get organized and actually do the work. That's my chore for between now and New Years....get organized. Maybe if I'm lucky, get my website built and do some marketing.

For now it's all I can do to get ready for Christmas. I need to go get thread to finish a Christmas project, and I just remembered another project I must do as it's a present for my daughter. That will teach me to take a day off.

BBC said...

Yeah, I love writing also, but I don't care to make any money at it, I just do it because I'm driven too.

I think of starting a business again, I loved being my own boss when I had mine.

But then I talk myself out of it, I have enough money to get by. And I still do little jobs if I feel like it, I'm just not taking on anymore big jobs that take a month or so.

Hugs

Leandra said...

Well, one thing I have decided to do is build myself another website. I closed down my old one years ago and never got off my lazy butt and did one that reflects today.

The site I want to build will be a reflection of my talents and my ambitions. That's a tall order.

One thing I decided that as a New Years resolution was to finally get myself organized. I do too many things but I do them sporadically. I'm going to try to devote at least half an hour every day to each of my main endeavors, be that writing, needlecraft, website, or whatever. I tend to scatter because I'm faced with too much.

I have two books going at the same time. I am going to work on each of them. One because it was a dream I had; the other because it's a strong feeling that it needs to be written. Beyond that I have no fewer than six stories I need to write. But one or two at a time is more than enough for now.

Merry Christmas everyone.