Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Cold

Cold seems to rule my life at the moment. I am always freezing. My daughter heats the house with wood, which is fine when she makes sure we have plenty and can use it. Unfortunately a couple of days ago something went wrong with the fuse panel in the house. It will have to be repaired before we can use the blower for the stove that warms the house. Unfortunately Susan cannot afford the repairs at this time. It's like 48 degrees in the house at the moment. I will light a fire shortly, but it will do little to chase the chill without the blower to circulate the air.

Right now I am wearing lined slippers, heavy socks, fleece sweats (wish I could wear two pair), three sweaters and gloves. And I am freezing.

What's worse is that the circuit for my lamp is on the same one as the blower, et al. We simply don't dare throw the breaker for this circuit as it's sparking and could start a fire in the walls. So I also can't use my bright light which means I can only quilt and read during the daylight hours.

I am sincerely hoping something breaks, but the way things are right now it appears it will be spring before Susan gets the money from her divorce settlement and can get the circuit box fixed and buy the new, more efficient stove. That's a lot of very cold days ahead. Also, if she doesn't make an issue of getting her nephews over here to chop the rest of the wood we actually have we will run out within a week or so. If that happens I will go online and order a cord delivered and pay for it myself. I'm simply not going to be that cold with the worst and coldest of the season yet to come.

I got a gift card from Joann's for Christmas. I'll buy some heavy flannel and will make myself two flannel slips. I also plan to buy two pair of long thermal knit undies for wearing under sweats. With the slips it should be warmer. My gloves are fingerless but work wonderfully to keep my poor hands more or less warm. Without them I would barely be able to use my hands they would hurt so badly. I hate being this cold.

No comments: