Tuesday, December 05, 2006

This really steams me

I got this electronic cleaner in the mail today. With it was a very small user manual. As I read it, I got more and more angry. Whoever wrote this has no really working knowledge of English. The stuff is laughably funny it is so badly written.

Why then am I steamed? Well, that's my profession, or it was until someone decided to outsource it to people like this who write utter comical trash and someone sends it in every single unit that is sold. I even developed a very cost-efficient way of back-sourcing such writing to real American writers while still saving a considerable amount of money for the customer. Of course it was utterly ignored.

Here is one such instruction: Fill the liquid into the tank up to 70-80% full (to such extent to allow the object pending cleaning to be fully submerged in the liquid.) First of all most of the language is redundant. It could more properly just read: Fill the tank sufficiently to ensure that what you wish to clean is fully submerged.

They refer to bubbles as "voids". They refer to "cavitations" being formed. What they mean is waves that clean what they contact.

The following is a single sentence: In the rinsing liquid, voids are repeatedly generated due to the conduction of vibration at the frequency of 45,000 cycles/sec to create the cavitations; and extremely high pressure (up to several hundreds of ATM) is produced when voids hit one another to remove contiminants attached to the object, either by attraction or stripping off, without damaging the material of the object to achieve the optimal cleaning results.

I can write better than that in my sleep on a bad night. But I can no longer find work in my field because of utter trash like this that is used to save a few dollars. This is not only disrespectful of the customer, but show almost a total contempt for anything but the almighty dollar. I wonder if anyone has tried to figure out exactly who is going to buy all these high end items (or low end ones for that matter) when the last of our living wage jobs are shipped overseas? Do we really want to turn the U.S. into a third world nation?

No comments: